Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Snow!

Ben needed to be picked up from work about 9:30ish tonight.  It's been snowing pretty fiercely all afternoon, so I figured I'd give myself a few extra minutes to drive slowly and left about 9:10.

I promptly got stuck at the top of our driveway.  And by "at the top", I mean 2 feet out of the garage.  But you know, especially on pristine new snow, it's deceptive how much drifting happens at the top of the driveway.  I cleared that away and sure enough, it was at least 12 inches deep there and less deep as you went further down the driveway.

So I got the car backing down the driveway ... and got stuck at the bottom of the drive.  I mean good and stuck.  Hit the snow on the road and slid right  into the curb in front of our mailbox.

As I was digging that out, Ben called from Tundra Lodge to let us know the hotel was putting up employees for the night because the roads are unfit to drive on.

Queue one of our neighbors getting stuck in the snow driving up the street.  Her brothers came out to help her get her car in the drive, then they came over and helped me.  By now Becky had come out to help clear our drive and dig our car out.  With the neighbors help we got the car half way up the drive.  I only stopped at 1/2 way up because snow had piled up on the rear window and, as I was backing in, I couldn't see where I was going.  Cleared things off, got back in the car, slid back to the bottom of the drive.

Ugh.  More clearing, got the car turned around, drove it forward this time and got it back in.  One hour in our driveway.  Ugh.

I'm really glad Tundra Lodge is putting Ben up overnight. I don't think I could have gotten across town to pick him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment