Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Anniversary

A long time ago I was talking with a group of coworkers about getting a television. Not a new television . . . a television, period. For various reasons, Becky and I didn't have one yet and had agreed not to get one until our son was going into Kindergarten. So he was about ready to enter Kindergarten, and Becky was getting cold feet. Another coworker, the eternal bachelor, walked up on the conversation while we were talking about me wanting a television, but us putting it off because Becky had changed her mind about it. That led to all sorts of tangents about what being married means you give up and Bachelor Guy says, "Dude, you have got to come with me . . . the women on my team are trying to convince me how much it benefits guys to get hitched and you totally make my point."

It was funny. In part because, of course, Bachelor Guy is right in his own way . . . but in the complexities of things, he just entirely missed the point. It's hard to explain why being married is a good thing. It is, though. It just feels right, like I wouldn't want it any other way.

18 years ago, on June 12th, I married a wonderful, beautiful woman. I still can't believe I lucky I am. And I wouldn't trade her away for anything. Not even a television.

No comments:

Post a Comment