Saturday, April 23, 2011

Learning to Spell

Tabby is learning to spell. I'm pretty proud of her. I don't really remember at what age the rest of the kids started spelling, but this time I'm saying almost four means my little girl is pretty smart.

She's been learning letters for a while. Becky got her an alphabet puzzle and Tabby recognizes the letters in the context of the puzzle pretty well and in other contexts most of the time. She recognizes the letters that start our names all the time and knows what sounds they make. Now she is figuring out how to put the letters' sounds together to make words. Thanks to Sam, the first word she has put together is "poop".

"But Dad, she asked me how to spell it!"

/sigh

Tabby doesn't quite have the fine motor skills to write the letters, but she can find them on the keyboard. And she loves to. Over and over. So if you happen to be in the World of Warcraft and see a cute little elf prancing through the woods on her magical sparkly pony saying "poop, poop, poop" . . . that's my girl.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard I cried. My favorite part: "cute little elf prancing through the woods on her magical sparkly pony saying 'poop, poop, poop.'" ah ha ha ha ha ha! Patrick had to come over and ask, "Are you okay?" Thanks for the laugh, Jack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at the exact same line as Judy! I'm almost tempted to try WoW just to find that magical sparkly pony with that cute little elf saying poop, poop, poop! Too funny!!

    ReplyDelete