Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Planet of the Apes

This past Friday, instead of watching a movie from our Blockbuster queue, Becky and I actually went to the 2nd run theater down the street to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The trailers made it look like it had potential, which, you know, is better than trailers that suck.

Wow. If I had known just how good it was I'd have gone weeks ago and not flinched at paying full first run theater prices.

It starts out with a very exciting sequence introducing us to the main human characters (a genetic researcher and his family, friends, work associates) and the situations they're in that provide the context for the rest of the show. Then it slows down to a sweet story about characters that care very much for each other . . . with tensions gradually increasing towards the inevitable uprising the movie is named for.

The way they develop the main ape, Ceasar, as the leader of the uprising is executed amazingly well. Despite his development during the "slow" portion of the movie, it is still incredibly engaging. I found myself, literally, on the edge of my seat in anticipation. Such that when it happened, it was like an emotional explosion. And I was totally cheering on the apes.

Two opposable thumbs way up. Becky and I both loved this movie. It was exciting, well made, had some thought provoking depth. There are several parts that we think are too intense for a four year old, so we're not letting Tabby see it. Yet. However, we're definitely sending the boys.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you liked it. This is one that I had wanted to see as well, but we missed it. Guess we'll have to wait to find it at a Redbox.

    ReplyDelete